Kherson (also spelled Cherson) is a city and administrative center of Kherson region, southern Ukraine. Kherson city is standing on the right (west) bank of the lower Dnepr River, about 15 miles (25 km) from the latter’s mouth. The climate is of continental type with mild winters and hot summers.
Kherson was founded in 1778 by the military leader and statesman Grigory Potemkin as a fortress to protect the newly acquired Black Sea frontage of Russia. Kherson town became first Russian naval base and shipyard on Black Sea. Before Kherson there was a small Russian settlement which existed since 1737.
Kherson was named after ancient city of Khersones. One of the leaders of building ships for Black Sea fleet from 1783 till 1785 was Russian naval commander F.F.Ushakov. From 1787 till 1791 A.V.Suvorov headed the construction of fortifications in Kherson city.
Since 1803 Kherson is an administrative center of Kherson guberniya. In early 19th century Kherson city became a significant commercial port. Soviet power was established in Kherson in 1918.
After World War II Kherson turned into a large industrial, agricultural and cultural center in the south of Ukraine.
In 1951 after Kherson ship-building plant was constructed the city became the main shipyard in the USSR. The plant is one of the largest ship-building plants in Ukraine and Europe. It produces tankers, container carriers, ice-breakers.
Present day Kherson remains a major shipbuilding center. Also Kherson has a combine-building plant, engineering, oil-refining, and cotton-textile industries. One of 6 Ukrainian oil-processing plants is located in Kherson.