Bell of memory
The city on the great river
Мonument of Glory
Dnepropetrovsk (also spelled Dnipropetrivsk), former (until 1926) Ekaterinoslav, is a city and administrative center of Dnepropetrovsk region located in the south-central part of Ukraine. The second Saturday in September is the City Day.
Dnepropetrovsk is situated along Dnepr River. Most of Dnepropetrovsk city is standing on the high right bank of the river, the smaller part of it - on the left one. The river has been considerably widened by the construction of a dam about 50 miles (80 km) downstream.
Dnepropetrovsk was founded in 1776 as Ekaterinoslav on the Dnepr’s north bank. The settlement was moved to its present site on the south bank in 1786 according to tsar’s decree. Since 1783 the town was the center of Ekaterinoslav region ruled by governor-general. In 1797 it was renamed as Novorossiysk and became the provincial center.
In 1802 old name was restored and the city became the center of Ekaterinoslav gubernia. Despite the bridging of Dnepr river in 1796 and the growth of trade in the early 19th century, Ekaterinoslav remained small until the 1880s, when the railways were built (in 1884) to Odessa, Donets Basin, and Moscow and industrialization began. Soviet power was established in 1918. In 1926 city was named Dnepropetrovsk.
After World War II Dnepropetrovsk was rebuilt and again became one of the most important industrial centers in the USSR - one more enterprise was formed there - Yuzhny machine-building plant - the largest in rocket and space branch.
The city went on developing. By the end of 1970s the population of Dnepropetrovsk outnumbered 1 million. It was decided to build an underground. But due to crisis which became evident at the end of 1980s the development of the city slowed down and the population started decreasing.