Castle Hill (Hill of Glory)
Cherkassy a bird's-eye
House Scherbiny (Wedding Palace)
Cherkassy (also spelled Cherkasy) is a city and administrative center of Cherkassy region of Ukraine. Cherkassy city lies on the high right bank of Dnepr River, along the reservoir created by Kremenchug hydroelectric station.
Cherkassy has a railway station, river port and airport. It is an important cultural and educational center of the region.
The territory occupied by present day Cherkassy was inhabited over 4,000 years ago; a lot of archeological monuments prove this fact. First records of the town in chronicles refer to the events of 1395 as well as in letters of the Crimean khan Mengly I Girey.
From 14th century being a part of the Great Lithuanian Principality. In 1532 Cherkassy was besieged for 30 days by the Crimean khan’s troops. In 1536 there was a revolt against Lithuanian power. Cherkassy was passed to Poland in 1569. From 14th to 17th centuries the town faced several attacks of Horde troops and later Crimean ones. In 1793 according to the first partition of Poland Cherkassy was included into Russian Empire.
Originally the town was located along the river Dnepr, in the lowland. At Lithuanian merchants’ expenses a bridge was organized on which merchants coming to the town had to pay taxes (called “myto”) to trade with local merchants. Wood-sewing mills were also located there and inhabitants of the town lived there. At present this district of the Cherkassy is called Mytnitsa.
Gradually Cherkassy town grew and stone buildings came into being. The town started developing although till early 20th century a lot of industrial plants were located in Mytnitsa. When electricity reached Cherkassy and general plan of the town was created it became possible to construct plants not only on the river Dnepr but also in other parts of the town which were formed later and located on the hills.
As railway and steam-ship transportation developed the industry in Cherkassy town started developing too. Most of the plants were located along the Dnepr River, for the sake of convenient transportation of raw and product.
At the end of 19th - early 20th centuries Cherkassy city grew rapidly because Moscow-Odessa railway crossed the Dnepr river there. The architecture of the city intensely developed - various forms and styles got along with each other.
Soviet power was established in Cherkassy city in 1918. From 1932 Cherkassy was the district center in Kievskaya oblast. In 1954 Cherkassy became the center of Cherkassy oblast.
In 1995 Bogdan Khmelnitsky statue was erected on the main street of Cherkassy - to the 400th anniversary of the getman who was born in Cherkassy region.