Khmelnitsky (also spelled Khmelnytsky), former (until 1954) Proskurov, is a city and administrative center of Khmelnitsky region, western Ukraine. Khmelnitsky city is standing along the upper Yuzhny (Southern) Bug River. Khmelnitsky is a highway and railway junction of Ukraine. Also there is an airport in the city.
Khmelnitsky was first time mentioned in chronicles of 1493, it was called Proskirov then. In the second half of the 16th century the fortress was built there. Originally a Polish military post, Khmelnitsky was seized by Cossacks during the mid-17th century.
In the 1780s Proskirov was renamed Proskurov. In 1793 it passed to Russia by the Second Partition of Poland, and in 1795 city status was conferred on Khmelnitsky. The city was renamed Khmelnitsky in 1954 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Ukraine’s uniting with Russia.