Ternopil (also spelled Ternopol, both variants are correct for now) former Tarnopol, is a city and administrative center of Ternopil region of Western Ukraine.
Ternopil city lies along the upper Seret River, 70 miles (about 115 km) east of Lviv city. Ternopil is important highway and railway junction of Western Ukraine.
Although Ternopil date of foundation is unknown, the first known reference to Ternopil occurs in 1524, when as a Polish town it was sacked by Tatars. Ternopil was known as a fortress. At the end of the 16th century the fraternity was organized which played an important part in the struggle against Catholicism.
In 1548 Magdeburg Law was adopted in Ternopil. In 1655 Cossack troops headed by B.Khmelnitsky captured the town. But Ternopil remained under Poland’s control.
On first partition of Poland in 1772 Ternopol was captured by Austria. In 1809-1815 it was ruled by Russia. After the fall of Austro-Hungary Ternopol the town was passed to Poland in 1920 and was annexed by the USSR in 1939. World War II inflicted exceptionally heavy damage on Ternopil.
Present day Ternopil is an important railway junction and has light engineering, food-processing, and consumer-goods industries.